One among the issues with learning ninjutsu, whether you train in a dojo, or learn through online ninja training programs, is that it could possibly be easy to get caught up within the so-called “classical approach.” That is where the traditional museum pieces grow to be the main focus of the training, slightly than the applying of the traditional principles and ideas for self defense in today’s modern world.
One among the Ninja’s weapons that tends to stay on this “classical” sense is the shadow warrior’s metsubishi (also pronounced: “metsubushi”). Often called “blinding powder” – the stuff that makes the “smoke screen” effect – the word actually means “sight-remover.”
This text offers 5 common items you could use for contemporary self defense as substitutes for the Ninja’s so-called “blinding powder.” So, as a substitute of carrying a concealed eggshell crammed with an ancient mixture, the next are some quite common, on a regular basis things that may be used strategically to attain the identical results that the metsubishi was originally designed for. They include.
1) Beads. In case your wearing a beaded bracelet, you might break it and permit the beads to slide off of the string and into your hand. Then the loose objects, including the string, may be thrown at your attacker while you’re able to make your move.
It could be difficult to destroy your personal jewelry, especially if it was expensive or holds a certain sentimental value. But, in a self defense situation, you’ve to determine, within the moment, if the thing that would save your life, has the identical value as your life itself.
2) Flashlight. While you might use a regular flashlight, I find that those tiny key chain lights make perfect little weapons for this tactic. Are you able to imagine what it appears like when a sudden vivid light hits your attacker’s eyes after they’ve fully dilated to regulate for the darkness of night? Not only will you surprise them, however the trauma to the eyes, now forced to a pin-point, will blind the attacker for greater than the several seconds it is going to take you to flee to safety or turn the tables on him!
3) Snow. Obviously a tactic reserved for a certain time of 12 months, in addition to for those of us who actually get snow. But, I desired to add this to the list to ensure that you simply didn’t ignore the bottom or such an obvious self defense aid simply because the bottom, dirt and grass that I discussed earlier was covered.
4) Aerosol Spray. This may very well be anything from cologne or perfume, to hair spray, and even insect repellent. In actual fact, considered one of the suggestions that I give students as an alternative to pepper spray is bug spray – specifically the kind designed to spray wasp and hornet nests.
Using chemical irritants at all times creates an extended window of opportunity, but it surely also requires a greater awareness in your part as to each the wind direction, and the direction the nozzle is pointing. The last item you wish while attempting to protect yourself from a crazed attacker – is to shoot yourself within the eyes together with your own spray!
5) Your individual hand. In our try and master the techniques, tactics, and techniques of self defense, we are able to overlook the best of things. As an alternative of merely punching or grabbing together with your hands, you need to use them at various points in a self defense situation to cover your assailant’s eyes when you execute one other damaging technique. The sudden blindness will draw his attention to your hand and mean you can effectively do whatever you wish in that moment.
Contrary to popular belief, the concept of metsubishi, “sight-removing,” will not be limited to the mixture with the identical name. In actual fact, the physical powder is itself, just a mirrored image of the greater concept. Just as there are a lot of ways to effect someone’s ability to see, so too, there are a lot of objects and methods for making it occur.
The Ninja’s magic doesn’t lie in his weapons and “tricks.” The critical element within the Ninja’s art that makes it perfectly suited to modern self-defense is in it’s ability to mean you can adapt it to the time and placement where you end up.